Friday, January 04, 2008

Representin'

I had a play of the demo for Frontlines: Fuel of War recently. I thought it was quite good - a nice take on the Battlefield "capture point" mechanic, but in single player. In particular I liked the demo level, and the way it allowed you to go off the beaten track, and rewarded you for finding good routes to flank the enemy positions. The tank bit was rubbish, but it was also over much more quickly than the good bit.

So overall I would be looking forward to the full game. I say "would be", because I noticed a disclaimer on the title screen with words to the effect of "this demo is not representative of the finished product".

I'm not sure what to take away from that since the demo seemed quite finished, I wouldn't expect to see the finished game being a formula 1 racing sim, for example.

It seems like someone at THQ has no faith at all in the demo - they're second guessing that you won't like it, but are trying to persuade you to buy the game (despite knowing that you probably wouldn't like that either).

Or possibly they mean that the full game isn't one third rubbish tank bit.

2 comments:

JC Barnett said...

*Every* demo has "is not representative" as a disclaimer. I think it's something legalise.

FreakyZoid said...

Yeah, it's just odd though. Surely the point of a demo is that it is representative? For all of Alex Ward's crazy bluster, at least he's gone on record as saying that the Burnout Paradise demo is a good representation of the final game.